Amazland

(Any items purchased through these banners help the blog!! :) )

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

BB’s DVDs Part 2: WWE Survivor Series 2002/From the Vault

This portion of my collection started in 2003 and would reach “jealous” status.

All in earnest, my WWE disc stockpile was initiated on a birthday wish.

On a lend, one of my brother’s friends let him borrow From the Vault: Shawn Michaels to watch. Keep in mind that both myself and my brother had known almost nothing of Shawn’s past, and were only working on the current stuff he had at that time.

To say we were amazed was an understatement.

Amazed so much I asked my bro if it could be a birthday present. Sure enough on August 9th 2003, I received the disc that shall start the madness.

Of all the matches on the collection, my introduction would be the Ladder Match from Wrestlemania X, featuring Shawn and Razor Ramon (aka Scott Hall).

Funnily enough, on the initial borrowing, my bro made my sister sit through ALL of the Iron Man match. And they started watching it at around 10:30 that night! That’s still a family gag!

From what Dusty Rhodes calls, “the muthaship”, I’ve mentioned the other matches (here, here, here, here). All are classics, and on that DVD countdown, still came in the top ten, although I would own discs better than it as a whole.

There’s some more things to catch about this FTV.

One, I got the sucker autographed. It happening during this, back in March of this past year (or if you’re reading into the future, 2011). It took about four hours on line to do so, but once I got there, it was like going into the promise land. I also got the Survivor Series disc signed as well, but that’s a little later on.

Two, this edition has a VERY RARE lithograph of Shawn doing a crossbody onto the limp body of Triple H through a table at Summerslam 2002. If anyone wants to figure, these were a first-print only exclusively for the F.Y.E stores. It’s a cool add, and if you’re in the market to sell, should command a nice little premium.

It should also be noted that although I said this before, I’ll say it again: that Blow Away easter egg, located on disc one, is one of the funniest things I have ever seen on a WWE DVD release. That’s covered in one of those above links, I believe the countdown one.

Because of the fact I was 14 and only had allowance to rely on at that point, getting any sort of entertainment (being movies, video games, etc.) was kinda tough.

So that’s why I had huge Christmas lists until I was gainfully employed.

Keep in mind I got A LOT of DVD’s on Christmas in 2003 (that’s another entry for another day kids), but one that pleasantly shocked me was indeed Survivor Series 2002.

I mention this event a lot as my favorite all-time PPV. As a matter of fact, it’s on a challenge list I never got around to completing, right here.

As mentioned in that piece, I had ingrown toenail surgery. Without being too graphic, let me stage the scene.

I had an accident the year before which was a mess (Jim Ross would be aghast), and later on, the nail would become infected and needed removal. Not just a nibble, or even half a nail, I mean the whole shebang!

One word of advice here kids: if you ever have local anesthetic, especially near a boney area, make sure you know a song that’s easy to reach in your memory bank!

So anyway, the nail grows back and I live happily ever after.

Or so I thought.

Unfortunately the left side of the nail grew back in wrong, and it became infected. So 2003 would be the second surgery, only this time to remove that small portion of nail.

Sadly, the anesthetic was still bad to endure.

Reading this you must be wondering, “Why the hell in a DVD memory recount post does this story occur?”

Well for starters, I had a lot of time during that winter break to lay down with my foot up watching discs. If you ever had this type of surgery, you know that every few hours the toe needs to be soaked in some of the smelliest crap this side of the Equator.

Secondly, that ‘Series’ helped me heal tremendously. Going back to gym (in school) a couple of months after the procedure and I could hear JR somewhere in the background going, “DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?”

With that anecdote aside, that’ll be the second entry into this DVD project thing-a-ma-bobber. Hope to see y’all on Twitter, or Facebook.

Another small note about the DVD: the chapter booklet also doubles AS A POSTER! Epic stuff right here!

then...

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment